The many roles of mom
A mother’s job is never-ending. Daily stress and attempting to manage the never-ending roles we have tend to cause anxiety, frustration, and sometimes even fear. Continue with me a moment and consider all the things you do for your children. Is there any way to determine the worth of mom in their lives?
As a child, I admit I didn’t think much about what my mom did for a living. Of course, things were very different in the 1970’s. Our role models were the Brady Bunch and Archie Bunker. Oh, those were the days. However, you may remember the 1970’s as a bit of a woman’s movement as well. Women were proud to be working out of the home and were feeling empowered.
I sometimes think about how different times are now. However, I believe that several roles we play as moms haven’t really changed as much as you would think. A mother’s love is never-ending.
What are the roles of moms?
• Mothers have always played the role of PEACEKEEPER. How many times have you stopped your children from bickering with each other? Even now, as a mom of a single child, I have intervened during play dates when things got a little heated amongst the boys.
• Moms are also CHAUFFEURS taking the kids to multiple events like sports and playdates.
• These same events make mom a qualified EVENT COORDINATOR. It can be rather hectic coordinating work, home life, school life, and kids’ extra-curricular activities.
• Now what child has never attempted (gasp) cutting their own hair? And who is going to fix that disaster? Yep! We moms become the MASTER HAIR STYLIST who attempts to trim the locks with love.
• Don’t forget about mom becoming the PERSONAL STYLIST. Moms tend to want the kids to at least wear matching socks when they leave the house. In fact, wouldn’t it be great for the entire outfit to be somewhat color coordinated?
• We NURSE our sick child and remain bedside. Moms are great at bringing the chicken noodle soup and the extra blankets without waiting for our patient to make a request.
• Of course, don’t forget about the minor boo-boos. Mother is the best BOO-BOO BUDDY in the world. We kiss away the pain with a mere peck. Sometimes, we resort to our magical fairy dust to make the tears subside while we doctor the tender-skinned knee or elbow.
• Now we also are often in charge of the SAFETY PATROL. Moms make sure that all are accounted for on family outings. We always watch for the unseen vehicle when crossing the street or even the parking garage.
• Moms make the best STORYTELLERS! Somehow, we help our little ones create magical worlds based on their own hopes and dreams using nothing but words. This one still amazes me. No matter how badly told, my son always enjoys my story. Are your kids the same way? I bet they secretly enjoy the cuddle time more than the story.
• How many times have you become PERSONAL CHEF? You remember that night you made pork chops that didn’t sit well with the little ones and they ended up eating hot dogs instead?
• Mothers tend to supplement education or become the only TEACHER via homeschooling. Life is full of lessons every place you venture.
• Money is a valuable lesson to teach our kiddos. Thus, we moms are also ACCOUNTANT or PERSONAL BANKER. We may distribute funds to our child as an allowance or help them decide how to spend money.
• Mom can be the best CONFIDANT when things are rough with friends. She can also be the best CHEERLEADER encouraging you to do your best and never give up.
As an adult, I rarely have come across a family where the mother is completely unemployed. Moms may work part-time weekends, work from home, or work direct sales. In the end though, what is the role of a good mother? Working mothers CAN be good mothers although there are certainly advantages and disadvantages of being a working mom. Today, there are opportunities for mom to be anything she wants.
The point is that you must get past that stereotype you have in your head. Grow beyond what we think a mom should be and enjoy just being a mom.
While all moms may feel overwhelmed, being a single mom is undeniably stressful. There are times where you need a personal time out from the drama that comes with toddlers or teenagers. Single moms tend to feel more pressure to provide for her family financially as well as find the time to bring unity to the family. Yet, the luxury of sharing responsibilities with a father often does not exist for a single mom.
Of course, this is also true for single dads.
In the end, we feel pressure to do all these things for our children. However, the most important thing we can do for our kiddos is to simply be present. The best mom strives to be a role model for her children but also allows them to see that even she can learn from her mistakes. Certainly, any mom (single or not) has moments of self-doubt.
The Imperfect Mom
What Mom doesn’t wonder if she said the right thing to her daughter who got jilted for a dance or got teased at the playground? Please know that you are imperfect- and that is okay! The worth of mom is not scientifically measurable. Take a moment to think about all the things you accomplish for your children every day and simply love each other!
Leave a Reply