Are you looking to spruce up your curb appeal?
Maybe you’re just in the mood for a change or want to update the exterior look of your home. While curb appeal is often thought about when you are in the market to sell your home, it is often overlooked on a daily basis.
A little love for the exterior of your home will give you a sense of accomplishment and is sure to welcome you home after a long day’s work.
This post may contain some affiliate links for your convenience. The small commission I earn if you make a purchase helps keep my blog up and running. Click here for full affiliate policy.
So, what is curb appeal?
Simply put, curb appeal is the attractiveness of a property when viewed from the street.
Here are some quick, inexpensive ways to spruce up your exterior when living on a budget.
Front Door Curb appeal
The Main Focal point of most homes is the front door. Most homes have a front door that faces the street and this serves as your entry for welcoming guests into your home. So, it makes sense that you want your front door to convey both your personality and warmth so that guests will truly feel welcome.
1. Paint the Front Door – a contrasting or bold color on your front door can make your house stick out. It can also add brightness or simply convey your personality.
2. Install a New Door Knob – an eye-catching new doorknob can be a focal point in itself. You can opt for a high-tech safety lock or decorative backset.
3. Install a Door or Screen Door –There are beautiful door styles on the market that allow you the option to let in light while maintaining some privacy.
4. Install a door knocker – Door knockers may seem old fashion but they offer a certain charm to the exterior of your home.
5. New Doormat –A nice large mat will help keep your guests from tracking dirt into your home while still welcoming your guests. This is a perfect area to highlight your personality with a splash of color or a witty greeting.
6. Window Film– This is a great option to quickly update sidelights or a large window panel on a front door as you can retain aesthetics while maintaining your privacy
7. Topiaries– Create symmetry at your entrance by placing large planters or topiaries on both sides of your entryway.
Landscaping and Greenery Appeal
8. Install Flower boxes on windows or porch railings. Window boxes will add a feeling of coziness while adding a splash of colors
9. Wreath– A door wreath helps draw the eye to your front door and add charm. It can be updated quickly, easily, and even changed based on the seasons. Wreaths can also be used on identical sized windows to add symmetry to your exterior.
10. Add Mulch– Mulch helps suppress weeds, makes your garden areas more attractive, and retains moisture in the soil to help your plants live longer.
11. Renew Borders– Edging your flower beds helps minimize weeds and grass overflowing into your garden areas. There are several types of lawn edging products that can help maintain this without much fuss. You can choose a natural look such as brick or stone or inexpensive vinyl edging.
12. Potted Plants– Potted plants are great to add a bit of color into a mainly green landscape or to add green into a very floral landscape. It’s a simple way to round out your existing plant landscape. You can also decorate with seasonal plants such as gourds and squash in the fall.
13. Renew Landscaping – This could mean adding some new plants to a now bare area or cutting back or thinning out overgrown areas to help plants thrive. This is a great time to eliminate unsightly or large trees/bushes which detract from the home architecture.
14. Mow regularly– While this is something most people do, a well-groomed yard will help reduce unwanted pests as well as provide a clean appearance to your home.
15. Get a bird feeder – If you enjoy sitting on your porch for fresh air, you may also enjoy watching the variety of birds that are attracted to your yard.
16. Add a flag – You may be excited to fly your colors whether it be for your favorite sports team or showing your country pride.
17. Decorate for the seasons
18. Focal Point– A weather-resistant art such as a birdbath, sculpture, wind chimes, or a fountain will add serenity to your outdoor environment and be a great compliment when you have a seating area.
19. Tile or paint porch– Cement stain is a very easy way to add some color and character to your home. Tile will provide a high-end appearance.
20. Indoor/ Outdoor Rug– If you are looking for something cozier, you may appreciate an indoor/ outdoor rug. This is especially nice to coordinate the appearance of a seating area
21. Porch Furniture or Swing– It’s always nice to have a cozy spot to sit and enjoy the fresh air. Outdoor seating also allows you the ability to bring the warmth and relaxation of your home onto your patio in a more casual setting.
22. Porch Curtains– While not for every climate, curtains on a porch convey a warm, welcoming vibe and help extend the interior of your home.
Lighting Options to enhance curb appeal
23. Replace or upgrade Exterior Lighting – This can save you money by upgrading to solar or new LED options as well as provide better illumination
24. Landscape lighting– help safely guide visitors and add focal points to key areas
25. Install or revive your house numbers– Make sure people can find you easily by replacing faded or worn numbers. You can easily opt for lighted numbers or find a style that matches your exterior lights.
26. Update your Mailbox – The most pleasing accents is when your hardware matches. Find a mailbox that compliments your existing light fixtures and door lockset.
27. Pressure wash– You will be surprised at the incredible difference you will see in your home’s exterior with a simple bath! This is a great opportunity to get rid of mold, moss, and look for potential problems such as cracks.
28. Clean your gutters– Ensuring clean downspouts will ensure that you don’t have unusual runoff or flooding.
29. Install a Decorative Gate, Arbor, or fence
30. Repair and resurface driveway– This process will help you eliminate weeds and repair minor cracks. You may even opt to stain your concrete drive or pathways.
Curb appeal should help you maintain the function while simultaneously enhancing the charm of the property. I hope you are able to use some of these quick and easy methods up maximize your curb appeal and bring a little bit of charm to your home.
Let me know if you have any other quick, inexpensive ideas you’d like to see on the list.
Leave a Reply